I loves me some salsa and onion free or not, I was NOT going to live without it. The lovage in this is very important – it is the only herb I have ever found that mimics an onion flavor. I know that cumin and tumeric are usually thought of as “Indian food” kind of herbs, but once I added these I was in salsa heaven
- I box Pomi crushed tomatoes (no, I am not getting any kickbacks from these guys – I don’t do canned tomatoes because of all the toxins plus this brand comes from Italy where they have NEVER done any genetic modifying.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon powdered cayenne
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs – cumin, lovage, turmeric
- 1 large bunch fresh chopped cilantro (I have heard that some folks react to cilantro – my best guess – and I am NOT A DOCTOR is that cilantro has some pretty powerful detox chemicals going on so if you react, make sure it is not just your body cleansing. Of course, some folks just HATE cilantro – which makes me ponder their sanity….)
Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate for 1 hour – 1 day. It gets spicier the longer you leave it to ruminate. I have also been known to mash up a couple of avocados and mix some of this salsa in for a little guacamole action – just put in a bit more salt – delish!