Ok – I have to admit – I have been having a craving – a big bad craving for hot wings. You remember hot wings – one of those things that you resigned yourself to never eating again because seriously – how were you going to have – sauce? Well – I finally couldn’t stand it anymore. I started trolling 60s era (and earlier – one turn of the century) cookbooks for ketchup recipes. Yes, I did – I figured it was only a hop skip and a jalapeno from ketchup to hot wing sauce – and oh, was I right! It takes some time, but so, so worth it!
- 24 oz tomato sauce (I use Pomi – I am not down with canned stuff and in Italy where it comes from they have never allowed GMO foods)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup plus two Tablespoons fresh whey, divided
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (extra if you like it a little thinner and kickier!)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Spoon tomato sauce into a large mixing bowl and fold in raw honey.
- Whisk in one-quarter cup fresh whey into the sweetened tomato paste along with apple cider vinegar, sea salt, cayenne and red pepper. Continue whisking these ingredients together until the paste is smooth and uniform.
- Spoon into a mason jar, top with remaining two tablespoons fresh whey, cover loosely with a lid and allow the sauce to sit at room temperature, undisturbed, for three to five days.
- After three to five days, uncover the sauce and give it a thorough stir. Will keep for several months in the refrigerator.
But seriously – it won’t last that long…..`