I just love fish and am always looking for different and interesting ways to prepare it. Some folks with sulfite issues have a problem with citrus, but many do not – be sure of your sensitivities!
- 1 lb swordfish OR tuna steak (if you use swordfish, cut off the skin and any dark parts)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 8 cherry tomatoes, diced very small
- 6 green olives, diced very small (don’t use any with citric acid or vinegar – I brined my own this year and they are just right for this dish)
- 2 Tablespoons capers (packed in salt – I use Roland’s and they have nothing but the capers and salt, be careful!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Dice the fish into very small pieces. Place in a non reactive (read not metal) container. Squeeze the lemon and lime juice over the fish and mix thoroughly. Add the olives, tomatoes, capers, spices and salt. Mix thoroughly. Cover loosely and place in the refrigerator for an hour. Serve cold. If you have never had ceviche, you are in for a spicy treat! Please be careful on the olives and capers – most often they have sulfite based preservatives – check your labels very carefully! You can enjoy this with crackers if you find ones that are safe for you or just straight up!